Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:16:55 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>, kip@lyris.com, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

> this is less and less of a problem because
> if you lose your link on PPP
> you are liable to get a differetn IP address on your redial.

Not true.  Only if you're using a dynamic IP address setup.  Most
business connections have a static connection, so they'll end up with
the same IP address everytime.

> for network outages in the middle it works though..
> but I'd rather have a keepalive of 10 x 4 hour pings before failure..
> (or something as long..)

I think PHK's one-week KEEPALIVE is acceptable to me.  It lets me logon
to freefall and have the link go bad overnight, yet still keep me on in
the morning when I check it.

Nate