Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:22:23 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing port over old apache

I'm trying to upgrade a machine that apparently started with an
installation of RELEASE-3.2 from CD and has been upgraded by cvsup ever
since. Everything is up-to-date and running 4.4-STABLE and I've updated all
the ports I've installed by running pkg_version -c > needs.update, then
editing and running the file. When I came to look over apache, though, I
discovered that I've got the old apache 1.3.6, where the demon was named
apache, not httpd, and the configuration files are different. I'd like to
upgrade to the current port, which I think is 1.3.20, but before I do I'd
like to totally expunge the old server, all its files and directories. I
don't believe installing the port will do this, because the old daemon was
installed as a package with sysinstall, not as a port. I don't have a
CD-ROM on this machine, either, and don't remember how the install was done
-- it might even have been done over the net from a boot floppy.

Can someone suggest a good way to go about getting rid of the old server?
--
Roger