Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 1995 01:16:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@rflab1.gtri.gatech.edu>
To:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

Gary:

> I'm trying to set up my HP DeskJet 500 printer off a FreeBSD box. It
> connected to the parallel port, and I'm using the following
> /etc/printcap entry :
>
> lp|djet500:\
> 	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:sh:sf:fs#2020:
>
> Unfortunately, I can't get the printer to print text properly. The Deskjet
> needs a CRLF combination to do a what UN*X does with just the LF. I tried
> the above `fs' entry to try and cure the problem, but it still doesn't
> work. What do I need to do to get this working?

	A friend of mine had a similar problem with a deskjet.  I'm not
sure where he got it, but I think this is the filter he used to fix the
problem:

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
echo -ne \\033\&k2G
cat
echo -ne \\f

	Apparently it sends some sort of code to the DeskJet to tell it to
print the right thing.  The above script should go (I think) in an "of"
statement, such as:

 lp|djet500:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
	:of=/usr/local/bin/pfilter:

	Anyway, give it a whirl.  It should get you started, at least.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@rflab1.gtri.gatech.edu