Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 02:42:57 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Which OS does a man page come from? (was: cvs commit: src/bi

In message <20010807180416.N1565@wantadilla.lemis.com> Greg Lehey writes:
: > I understand that.  My point is why not pull the macros used to create
: > the man pages from the same place you pulled the man pages.  Eg, snag
: > /usr/share/tmac at the same time you snagged the man page and setenv
: > GROFF_TMAC_PATH to be where you stashed it.  I don't see how this is
: > different than grabbing old Makefiles and having them produce
: > different results on new machine or machines with different kinds of
: > make...
:
: It's not the way man(1) works.  It takes the macros from the same
: place for all man pages.

I just tried it and it is the way that man works.  Oh, wait, I just
tried what I always use to format foreign man pages, which was groff
-mandoc foo.1, which does work with this environment variable.

: >>> Adding the .Os and .Dd at install time seems ugly to me.
: >>
: >> Why?  It's just a little Makefile magic.  We don't actually add the
: >> macro, just an argument, and only in the case where there are no
: >> arguments, e.g.
: >>
: >> 	s/^\.Os$/.Os FreeBSD 4.5/g
: >
: > Because it is another target?  You'd have foo.5 which would somehow
: > get generated from foo.5 which seems gross to me from a make point of
: > view.  I guess I don't see how that's transparently done in the build
: > process.
:
: Well, no, just put it into the man page install target.  Currently the
: pages get gzipped into /usr/share/man; this would just add a sed pipe.
: All we need is to change the man page install target; a SMOP.

ok.  Whatever.  It seems to set a precident that it is OK to munch
something on the way to the install and change its contents, which is
something we really don't do.  compression doesn't really change the
contents.

Warner