Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:11:11 -0800
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mail.theinternet.com.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Voodoo3 + XFree4 + DRM - simple_lock ? :-)

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 04:54:30AM +1000, Andrew Kenneth Milton wrote:
> However, recently simple_lock and friends seem to have disappeared, and the
> kernel modules make some use of them (although there is still reference
> to it in machine/smptests.h)
>
> It looked like I could replace them with calls to mtx_* stuff
> Removing the calls to simple_lock etc sure made it run a lot faster though,
> but, I think I'd rather have the safety.
>
> What are the 'new' corresponding structures and calls for simple_lock ?

Mutexes should be used in places where simplelocks were used.  With few
exceptions, sleep mutexes should be used (even though simplelocks were spin
locks).  See mutex(9) for details.  Be forewarned that there is work in
progress to clean up the mutex API that will probably be checked in within
a week.  Transitioning from the current mutex API to the upcoming one will
be trivial, but it will have to be done if you convert to mutexes in the
next few days.

Jason