Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:14:03 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading a port

Hi all,

I'm new to this list so bear with me if this has been asked before,
but is there a quick way to 'upgrade' a port if its already installed?
E.g. I have gnumeric-0.50.0 installed, my ports tree is updated to
-0.51.0 (by way of cvsup), what's the quickest way to upgrade gnumeric?

I can't go to /usr/ports/math/gnumeric and do a make deinstall, because
that's a deinstall of a different version. So now I have to do a
pkg_delete gnumeric-0.50.0 and then do a make install...

With the upcoming change to ${NAME}-${VERSION}, isn't it possible to make
the subdirectories in /var/db/pkg consist of only ${NAME} and then
add a 'make upgrade' target that does pkg_delete ${NAME}, make all install ?

Yes I'm lazy ;-)

Just a thought... Any other ideas also welcome.

--Stijn