Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 11:55:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Parsing /var/run/dmesg.boot

>Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:25:51 -0700
>From: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>

>Something like /var/run/dmesg.boot, perhaps?

[As a means of determining what the machine "saw" at boot time.  dhw]

OK; I've been poking & prowling around a bit, mostly with
/var/run/dmesg.boot.

Is it intended that the format & structure of this output be constrained
in any way?

The reason I'm asking is that I think it *might* be nice to be able to
post-process the output to try to "better" (in some sense) analyze &
depict the machine's configuration.

However, if it's strictly for human consumption, this could well be a
wasted effort... and each of us, I expect, has quite enough to do
without such things.  :-}

[I've got a start toward a Perl script cobbled up that reads
/var/run/dmesg.boot (or an alternative file, if you like), scans it to
find the (last) boot messages, & then... well, at the moment, it just
spits them out to STDOUT.  Why use the script?  Well, sometimes the boot
messages aren't first in the file.  Anyway, I tried it on a -current
system, and found that -current doesn't have the empty line just before
the /^FreeBSD 2/ line that 2.x does....  the goal, as alluded to above,
is to generate some sort of representation of the machine's
configuration as of the most recent boot in order to make replication of
the machine (for disaster recovery) more nearly feasible -- assuming, of
course, that the representation is available, as are current backups.]

Thanks,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621