Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 13:30:49 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        d_burr@ix.netcom.com (Donald Burr)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will an additional 4 MB help?

Donald Burr stands accused of saying:
> My computer, FYI, is an 486DX2/66 with 8 MB of RAM... 1.0 GB FAST SCSI-2
> disk, plus a 150 MB IDE that I use as auxiliary filesystem space.

Spend on memory.  You are seriously cramped here; 16M is really a workable
minimum for this configuration.

> I've narrowed down my choices to one of two (I can only afford one): 2
> backup cartridges, or an additional 4 MB of memory.

Sheesh! What backup media are you using?  4M of memory is about $200
(australian dollars, retail), the most expensive backup tapes I can
think of at the moment would be DC525's, and they only run to about $45
or so...

> As an aside, how "much" would a 12 MB configuration help out in Windows
> 95, vs. an 8 MB configuration?

Likewise, lots.

> My system has 4 72-pin SIMM slots, which right now contain 2 4MB SIMMs,
> for a total of 8 MB.  So if I continue adding 4 MB SIMMs, I can have a
> max. of 16 MB of memory.  If I want to go any higher, I'd have to sell
> all my SIMMs and get bigger individual modules -- like getting 8 MB
> modules instead of 4 MB's, or 16 MB modules (do they even have those
> yet?).  If I were able to afford this, then I might as well break down
> and upgrade everything, including the CPU (see below).  So this probably
> won't happen.  16 is probably the max. memory for me with this system.

I'd actually try trading in the 4M modules plus your cash for either a
pair of 8's or a single 16.  The pair would stand you in better stead if
you were to go to a Pentium later, the 16 will be cheaper.

> So, I should probably get a 4 MB SIMM stick now, it'll probably help some
> (maybe even dramatically).  Then I can always add another 4 MB later, and
> when the big jackpot hits, go for the Pentium.  Right?

If all you can afford is another 4M stick, then _yes_, this will contribute
more to your performance than anything else can.

> Please help a confused soul out... and apologies if this is somewhat
> off-topic.

Not at all; possibly -hardware would have been a good cc:.

> Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[