Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2001 01:46:25 -0400
From:      Jeff Gardner <gardner@journey.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   telnet and uname -r

I am not sure which mailing list to send such trivial questions to so I
apologize in advance for posting incorrectly.

However, I have two questions which are puzzling me and I could not find
any information on them.

I just used cvsup to update my sources and did the whole make buildworld
thing and noticed the following.

When I telnet to my box from a 4.3-RC2 I get no "FreeBSD/i386 (hostname)
(tty)" type banner string.  Yet, If I telnet in from a non-freebsd box,
I get the banner string.  What is telnet now doing differently between
freebsd boxes?

Second, if 4.3-RC2 was released and I just cvsup to RELENG_4
(4.x-STABLE) and my uname -r responds with 4.3-RC.  What is the strategy
behind that?

Jeff - who is trying to understand the FreeBSD development strategy
better