Date:      Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:29:53 +0200
From:      Esaltato <esaltato@tele2.it>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No keyboard with Gnome and X.org (and gnome loaded behind KDE)

Esaltato wrote:

> I got a problem with GNOME since switching to xorg. On KDE everything
> is fine, but on Gnome 2.6 (all my system has been portupgraded
> yesterday) my keystrokes are blocked; as I type the text cursor stops
> blinking and nothing gets written. If I press ctrl, shift and some
> letters a lot of times it may happen that I can write sometimes, but
> only as long as I hold shift down and I don't change the writing
> focus. It seems like if my keys command are getting intercepted. This
> only happens as root.
> I want to point out that I've been throughly searching for solutions,
> and that not a solution proposed on the net has solved this.
> It may be related to the problem of this message popping up on Gnome
> (which I don't have, let's clarify it now, more on this later):
>
> :::::::start message
> Error activating XKB configuration.
> Probably internal X server problem.
>
> X server version data:
> The X.Org Foundation
> 60700000
>
> If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
> - The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
> - The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
> :::::::end message
>
> These are the results:
>
> localhost# xprop -root | grep XKB
> _XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "logiik", "it", "basic", ""
> localhost# gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
> layouts = [it]
> model = logiik
> overrideSettings = false
> options = []
>
> No help in changing the keyboard values...
>
> People report that this error message usually comes on start after the
> xorg update, but I _did not_ have this problem. I only get that pop up
> message (twice) if I go to the gnome keyboard panel and remove my
> italian keymap (I tried switching to no keymap and US).
> I followed the UPDATING hints related to gnome and xorg, so I rebuilt
> the 2 needed libraries x11-toolkits/libwnck and x11/libxklavier.
> I _haven't_ got the line
>
> Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
>
> in my xorg file, which I let xorg itself build, and then I modified
> accordingly to my needs. I tried everything, and everything seems OK:
> Section "InputDevice"
>
>    Identifier    "Keyboard1"
>    Driver    "Keyboard"
>
>    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
>
>    Option "XkbRules"    "xorg"
>    Option "XkbModel"    "logiik"
>    Option "XkbLayout"    "it"
>
> EndSection
> (.....)
>    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
>
> Oh, and I upgraded like the HEADSUP said. I use kdm now, but I used
> xdm when the problem surfaced.
>
> Any idea? I seem the only one with this problem. As for now, I'm
> sticking with KDE, but I need/want GNOME.

I hope this is gonna be useful to others. The problem was the %gconf.xml
placed in /root/.gconf/apps/Esaltato/gnome_settings_daemon/keybindings.
Once deleted (I deleted the whole gnome_settins_daemon dir) the problem
was solved. This file has inside the global shortcuts I had set for my
logitech keyboard. Somehow, after the big X.org update it wasn't welcome.
Bye, Esaltato