Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2020 20:08:14 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kib@freebsd.org>
To:        Adam Peace <adam.e.peace@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-drivers@mellanox.com
Subject:   Re: mlx5en - PTYS reg - eth_proto_oper bit 19 not defined

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 03:56:29PM -0500, Adam Peace wrote:
> Thank you for the information. After searching, I found the 50GBase-KR4
> link mode is described in this patent:
> https://patents.google.com/patent/US8891561. I have applied the below patch
> to my local kernel and the driver appears to be loading and operating
> properly (without much testing yet). Is there anything else required beyond
> this?
Should be not, at least for ethernet.

> I was unsure of the methodology for defining a value for a new media type.
> Others seem to have been added sequentially and assigned the next available
> integer. Is there another method for doing this that I overlooked?
No, this looks fine, thank you.  I committed the sys/net part of your
patch as r357765.

> Also, how were you able to tell me that the PTYS register eth_proto_oper
> value of 0x80000 corresponds to 50GBase-KR4? Is there a mapping of these
> values maintained somewhere?
I have some internal knowledge about Mellanox cards.

The driver-specific bits will get an internal review and QA at Mellanox
and then going to be committed to svn.

Thank you.