Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 19:34:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Hector  Gonzalez Jaime <cacho@eureka.gdl.iteso.mx>
To:        "Hugh S. Ellis" <hellis@domus.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP stack for PCs

On Tue, 3 Jan 1995, Hugh S. Ellis wrote:

> While FreeBSD is really cool, I think I may get some resistance to converting
> all my users from DOS to FreeBSD.  Given that they may be running DOS, or
> worse, DOS + Novell, what is the best way to allow them to access my FreeBSD
> server?

	You don't have to convince them, you could set-up a nice e-mail
environment with pegasus-mail (for netware, freeware, check risc.ua.edu,
cd to /pub/network/pegasus, and download the latest version of pmail,
winpmail, and mercury) pmail is for ms-dos or windows with netware, and
mercury will connect it to your freebsd host, without a dedicated pc for
the work, it runs on your netware server.

	Other applications, you can find with archie, look for:

	xappeal (xserver for msdos, needs xdm on freebsd)
	cutcp (now rutgers tcp, former ncsa, former clarkson) this comes
	with a telnet, ftp, ping and a tn3270, and with lp clients, files
	will be zipped as tel??bin.zip, tel??src.zip and tel??doc.zip,
	depending on the version.

	most free tcp applications for msdos/windows work with a packet
	driver, if your card comes with one, use it, if not, clarkson
	used to provide an extended set of packet drivers, you may find
	the collections on many sites.  for novell, you should use the
	odipkt packet driver, and odi drivers, or apps that use odi
	directly, such as the pc-kermit, and the rutgers telnet.

	for windows, you should download the a winsocket implementation,
	such as the trumpet winsock, then look at the apps directories for
	winsockets, (look at sunsite.unc.edu) there are gopher, http (mosaic
	uses winsockets, as netscape does, netscape IS something to look at!)

	Your users will then be able to use FreeBSD, without knowing they are
	using unix.