Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:23:55 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Graham North" <graham.north@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: resizing my slices/partitions - was pruning the Ports tree

"Graham North" <graham.north@telus.net> wrote:
> Hello Bill:
>
> Thanks again for your help.
> Does the line wrap look better now?  I reduced from 76 to 66.

You tell me.

> Regarding inodes - /usr is 778MB and began with 99,838 inodes.
> That would jive approximately with your million for 10G drive.  It
> now has 96M of free space but only 590 inodes remaining.    This
> heavy drain on inodes occurred when I downloaded the full Ports
> tree a month or so ago.  Not sure of the numbers but it was
> clearly a TON of small files  :--).
> /usr is /dev/ad0s2g - I cannot remember from my install but think
> that Windows may be the first partition..??

If so, you're probably hosed.  To add space onto a partition, the
available space needs to be immediately after it.  Unless Partition
Magic can move things around to put the free space immediately after
the /usr partition, you're not going to be able to growfs it.

Last time I used PM, it didn't have much understanding of BSD filesystems,
that may have changed, but I don't know.

> You said:
> > _Assuming_ your Windows partition is the last partition on the
> HDD, and the
> > /usr partition is second to last, the following will work:
> >
> > 1) BACK UP any important data ... this procedure is easy to
> screw up!
> > 2) Use PM or something similar to remove the Win partition and
> expenad the
> >    BSD partition to take up the space used by Win.  You can also
> use BSD's
> >    disklabel and related utilities to do this (in single-user
> mode).
> > 3) Boot FreeBSD into single-user mode
> > 4) Use growfs to increase the size of the /usr filesystem to
> take up the
> >    partition.
>
> I suspect that since the Ports download is an infrequent deal and
> most of my other files are much larger than the 500B or so of the
> Ports that the problem will be alleviated by adding space with a
> proportional number of nodes - (provided the next Ports update
> does not leave me with tons of debris)

Yes, the ports uses a lot of inodes, as it's a lot of directories and
small files.  I didn't know that partition was so small.

> I will do some hunting for info on single user mode and growfs
> before proceeding.   Is it necessary for me to user single user
> mode if I am the only user?   I can of course restrict myself to a
> single logon.

You need to be in single-user so the /usr partition is unmounted.  You
can't growfs a mounted partition (unless something has changed?)  If you
can manage to get the /usr partition unmounted in multiuser mode, that
will work as well.