Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:02:47 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Doug Hass" <dhass@imagestream.com>
Cc:        "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell@ufp.org>, "Jim Bryant" <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, "MurrayTaylor" <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FYI

That's silly, what did you find in it that's flamebait?  I think you didn't
read it.

>His characterisation of the FreeBSD Project's
>attitude towards proprietary drivers fails to mention many of the other
>factors that get weighed into these decisions, and I think he's missing a
>lot of history.

No, I am well aware of FreeBSD's history and if you don't believe that the
project avoids closed-source code then I don't know what to say, frankly.

I clearly remember the ruckus over the Adaptec 2740 drivers and the long
statement against Adaptec that used to be in the older versions of
FreeBSD, that only had AHA 1740 code in them.

If things have changed and the majority of the users in the FreeBSD project
welcome closed-source code, then please point out where all of this is?
I don't see it.