Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2018 11:04:29 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: drm changes and updating to 12.0

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 10:23 AM Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> wrote:

> Warner Losh writes:
>
> >      I'm curious where 2013 comes from. I know that Intel Sandy Bridge
> graphics
> >      is supported with VAAPI acceleration by drm-stable-kmod, since it i
> working
> >      on the system I am using to send this message. I bought it in 2011,
> the
> >      year Sandy Bridge was introduced to production products.
> >
> >  2013 is "five year old hardware or newer". It's a number I pulled out
> of the
> >  air when trying to nail down the group in describing who should use
> what.
> >  Giving code names would also work. Sandy Bridge and newer, though, is
> confusing
> >  to people.  I'd use 2011 as the release date for Sandy Bridge, but then
> what
> >  about the AMD other GPUs?
> >
> >  If there's a better way to message what's supported, I'm all ears.
>
>         Lacking a better plan: is there a list of which card/gpu is
> currently known to work with which drm(-kmod) version, perhaps
> gathered from those involved with development?  (Is this based on work
> from Linux? If so, do they have a list?)

I believe that list would be hundreds of entries long. That's not exactly
useful to put in release notes except as an appendix. I agree having the
list somewhere would be good, but having it in a short statement wouldn't
be possible. Even just summarizing the major generations would be too long
a list, I'd think. Also, we have no clue which GPUs actually work on
FreeBSD and which ones should work. With so many graphics GPUs out there,
it's impossible for us to test and keep current on all the reports for all
of them. There's no infrastructure to do that that would scale to the size
of this problem. While most of them should work, we still need fallback
instructions for those people who tried it and it didn't work.

Warner