Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 21:45:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Chris Sagar <csagar@iterated.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download problems

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Chris Sagar wrote:

> Not to be a whiner, but . . .
>
> Downloading from ftp.freebsd.org  runs at a blistering 0.7 to 1.0 Kbytes
> per second.
> I have dual T-1 access, so I am pretty sure it is not on my side of the
> Internet.

It depends on what time of day you were trying to download.  You have
about as good connectivity to walnut creek as we have at the UO and
ftp.freebsd.org (ftp.cdrom.com) can be slow sometimes.

> Downloading from ftp5.freebsd.org does not support all files needed for
> a Kern. developer distribution.
>
> Downloading from ftp6 yields unresolved name

The mirrors, for whatever reason, are often behind.  I wish that wasn't
the case but such is modern technology. :(

> Finally got decent download and kernal dev. support from ftp2, however
> the download aborted with page fault errors. Now to start all over
> again.

That's not good.  I'd suggest checking your SIMMs if it happens
frequently.

> I generally feel that if people are going to run ftp sites, they should
> carry all the distribution files and have decent bandwidth to support
> the downloads.

Please realize that FreeBSD is a purely volunteer effort.  People have to
offer their machines to make files available, and often this isn't on the
greatest of hardware or the greatest of links.  We make do with what we
have.

If you are looking for speed, I **HIGHLY** suggest purchasing the FreeBSD
CDROM from Walnut Creek (www.cdrom.com).  The CDs are reasonably priced,
can be shipped a variety of ways (including overnight I bet) and the money
goes towards supporting FreeBSD.  In addition, WC offers CD
subscriptions; they'll send you the latest release when it becomes
available and automatically charge your credit card at discount price.

I doubt that any FTP site in the world can beat a local CD. :)

However, if you'd like to arrange an alternative solution, please send me
private email.

> If you guys who read this are running one of the ftp sites, how about
> just doing a little clean up and help us poor folks who get in a jam and
> need to download and install the software under project and managerial
> time constraints.

I would agree that our ftp mirrors could use a little whipping to at least
ensure their sites are up to date with releases.

> feel free to flame

I sure hope you had your asbestos suit on, 'cause here come Spaceballs:
The Flame Thrower!  ;-)