Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2018 11:35:12 +1000 (AEST)
From:      Grant Gray <grant@gray.id.au>
To:        "M. Casper Lewis" <mclewis@genomecenter.ucdavis.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Failing ZFS log devices/panic

I'm going to defer to people with more experience with this hardware combination than myself, but I will say I've had compatibility issues with SATA SSD's on LSI SAS controllers in the past. In my case this manifested as the SSD's disappearing off the bus and not returning.

I've currently got an issue between some HGST SATA disks and a SAS3008 HBA where mixing SAS and SATA disks on the same port results in intermittent I/O errors on the HGST SATA disks, but not other SAS devices.

If feasible, it may be useful to move the SSD's onto a plain SATA controller as a diagnostic step.