Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 1998 13:19:29 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue2@welearn.com.au>
To:        White <whiterd@nwiowa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help Please

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 09:19:14PM -0500, White wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD,
> 	I've recently puchased FreeBSD for my home personal computer.  I bought it
> with the idea that I could learn a new great operating system.  I'm having
> troubles.  I'm familiar with DOS.  Are there any files or any information
> that you can provide that will help me?  I'm interesting in knowing how to
> set up my email and web browser.  What files are created and edited every
> time a new user is added to the system?  What files are read at boot up?
> What are each of the directories for?  My FreeBSD is not networking to any
> other computer.  I do have an account with a local ISP.  I hope you can
> answer these few questions.  Thank you for your time and help.

inhabited by hundreds of volunteer helpers and ordinary users like me.

A good place to start would be http://www.freebsd.org/newbies.html
There you will find links to many types of information, particularly
 - a tutorial for people new to both FreeBSD and Unix,
 - links to more comprehensive general unix guides if needed
 - information about The Complete FreeBSD, a book you definitely should
   buy if you can because it will answer most of your FreeBSD questions
   and having it around makes using FreeBSD more pleasurable.

Don't forget to look at the errata for whatever version of FreeBSD you have
installed. You'll find that via the link above as well.

Another place that's good to know about is
http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/
It gives some more guidelines on how to seek help when you need it.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-