Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:20:31 -0700
From:      chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   network printing problem (long and detailed)

I have fbsd 4.5 and samba-2.2.2.3 working fine, and a hp 952c
working fine, on the fbsd box. I have this one bsd box on a
windoze network - 45 workstations, 8 servers, 2 freebsd boxes.
I want this one printer to be accesible to the servers. The
printer and the bsd box it is connected to (via parallel port)
are in the server room. When I set up a print device in NT to
print to the  printer it will start to spool then quit and the
word spooling will be replaced by 'printing error'. I do have
one old win95 box and it will print to that printer just fine.
I don't understand why NT can't print to it.

I posted a similar message to this on the samba mail list and
got one person to respond, she implied that since I am using
LPR to print, I don't need samba. I don't understand this.
Without samba the printer would not be accessible to the windoze
boxes, right? You can see I am not real clear in this area.

My smb.conf is set up to share the hp printer, as follows -

[global]
workgroup = SIMDOM
server string = Chip's second PC
log file = /var/log/log.%m
max log size = 50
security = domain
password server = simrad_1, simrad_2
encrypt passwords = yes
path = /
wins server = 157.237.65.101
null passwords = yes
remote announce = 157.237.65.255
default = Chip's second PC
dns proxy = no
protocol = NT1
netbios name = cwiegand2
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
load printers = yes
printcap = /etc/printcap
guest account = chip
print command = lpr -r -P%p %s
printing = bsd
[printers]
comment = HP 952C
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = yes
writeable = no
printable = yes
print ok = yes
public = yes

Now, I know I don't need all of that stuff, I was just trying
everything I could to get this to work.
Do I need to change the permissions somewhere, on the fbsd box?
(I am able to map a drive from the nt box to the fbsd box and
copy and write files to the bsd box from the nt box. And vice-
versa.)

I have set up the /var/spool/lpd/ directories as follows -
-rwxr-xr-x bin daemon
(I have since even gone so far as to chmod 777 the raw spool dir,
still no go).

I've used the instructions in the book by Ted Mittelstaedt.

I've used apsfilter to create several printers - hq (high quality
photo), lp (low quality photo), text, raw. The raw is, according
to the book, for use by Windoze to print to. So, in Windoze NT I
create the printer device by doing this:

Add Printer/My Computer/Add Port/LPR Port/New Port/Name of server
providing LPD - cwiegand2/Name of printer of print queue on that
server - raw/OK/Close/Next/then I pick the driver from the cd/print
test page. This is where I see in the windoze printer window the job
and job status shows spooling (for a second or two) then printing -
printer error. I have tried to test all the printer queues that are
set up on the bsd box, I'm not sure if I am entering it correctly on the
NT box - for the option 'Name of printer or print queue on that server'
I have entered only the name - raw (also tried lp, etc). I have also
tried using the path to the queue - /var/spool/lpd/raw, and I get the
same results.

Notice I don't get access denied errors, the spooling appears to start
then fails.

I also reinstalled sp6a 'just in case', but it still responds with the
same error.

My printcap looks like this -
# APS1_BEGIN:printer1
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
hq|hpdj/850C;r=1200x1200;q=photo;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hq:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/hq/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/hq/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
# APS1_END - don't delete this
# APS2_BEGIN:printer2
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer2
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
text|hpdj/850C;r=300x300;q=low;c=mono;p=letter;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/text:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/text/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/text/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
# APS2_END - don't delete this
# APS3_BEGIN:printer3
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer3
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
lp|hpdj/850C;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
# APS3_END - don't delete this
# APS4_BEGIN:printer4
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer4
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
raw|hpdj/850C;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=raw:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/raw:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/raw/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/raw/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sf:\
    :sh:
# APS4_END - don't delete this

--
Chip Wiegand
Computer Services

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
     --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment
Corporation, 1977
 (They why do I have 7? Somebody help me!)