Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:12:17 +0000
From:      RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stale dependencies in pkgdb

On Friday 10 February 2006 20:35, Andrew wrote:
> think I've got it now. I believe I was correct in thinking
> that portupgrade usually takes care of dependencies; the portion that I
> was missing was that pkgdb catches what discrepancies do appear between
> what is installed and what is required.

Try portmanager instead.

Portupgrade, and the other "package-tools" installed by the portupgrade port,
are highly dependent on the package database and need it to self-consistent.
Portmanger uses the information in the port makefiles instead, which makes it
much more robust. This also means it's working from information about how
thing should be, rather than how they are/were.