Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2011 22:04:57 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Vadim Goncharov <vadim_nuclight@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Hi Mark Linimon!

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 03:23:28 -0500; Mark Linimon wrote about 'Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve':

>> That's even more strange given that early years, pkg_* tools in NetBSD
>> (pkgsrc) and FreeBSD got active code exchange. Why has it stopped later?..
> Although we do talk to each other e.g. at conferences, each of our projects
> is sufficiently occupied with current tasks.  There are some things that
> they can do that we can't and vice versa.
>
> The codebase divergence is huge, and the target audience is different as
> well.  (For instance, FreeBSD isn't worried about boostrapping on other
> OSes, as pkgsrc is.  Attempting to deal with it is a huge task that would
> simply give us no benefit.)  If you take a look at the codebases, you'll
> see how big the divergence is now.

What I have heard from NetBSD engineers is that pkgsrc already bulk-builds
more than 7000 packages on FreeBSD without any specific efforts to support
it on FreeBSD. And that porting pkgsrc to new platform takes a few months
for 1-2 men. That's definitely shows that this system is very effective in
terms of maintainership, and thus worth at least looking at. Why can't we
take what is best from them? Science research is being done to make more
effective ways of doing things in practice, and NetBSD is a research OS.

In fact, combining pkgsrc into a single thing with a single team for all
*BSDs would be a very great thing, saving many amounts of human work when
done. Or even unite *BSDs to split work, e.g. FreeBSD prefers to work on
kernel and NetBSD on userland (that's matter of fact what different *BSD
developers are preferring just now). It's very sad such things are
fantastic now... or is it, for packages?

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight@mail.ru
[Anti-Greenpeace][Sober FreeBSD zealot][http://nuclight.livejournal.com]