Date:      05 Oct 2001 19:48:45 -0500
From:      Jeremy Whetzel <thinker5555@yahoo.com>
To:        "clemz" <clemz@att.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install

"clemz" <clemz@att.net> writes:

> In attempting to install Free BSD 4.4, I cannot get beyond the screen
> that says "Probing Devices, please wait (this may take a while)".
>
> There is no disk activity whatsoever. I have tried all three kernel
> configuration modes with the same result.

I had the EXACT same thing to happen when I first tried out FreeBSD.  It
turned out that it had something to do with the order of my PCI cards,
and somehow the probing it was doing on my system locked it up.  I
switched around a couple of my cards and it worked just fine.  Give that
a try and see if it helps.

Jeremy