Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:42:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sparc64 instruction set info

In article <3D886165.8E67A013@sun.com>,
Michael Schuster  <Michael.Schuster@sun.com> wrote:

> what exactly do you mean by "possibly incorrect compiler-generated assembly
> language code"?

Whoops, I answered this in private mail but didn't realize the
question was cc-ed to the list.

I am trying to port CVSup (and therefore the Modula-3 compiler) to
FreeBSD/sparc64.  One ports the Modula-3 compiler by cross-compiling
a bootstrap compiler on another platform.  The bootstrap compiler is
dying pretty quickly with a segmentation violation when I run it on
the sparc64 machine.  It looks like the problem is bad code being
generated, though it's awfully hard to debug it without a working gdb.
The Modula-3 code generator is a modified version of gcc-2.95.3, and I
suspect the sparc64 support wasn't quite ready for prime time yet in
that version.

John
--
  John Polstra