Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:12:16 +0200
From:      "J.-P. Klodzinski" <jpk@gmx.org>
To:        matt donovan <kitchetech@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, gecko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADUP] FreeBSD Gecko's TODO and plan for future

matt donovan wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Martin Wilke <miwi@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> Howdy Guys,
>
> The FreeBSD Gecko Team will let you know what the plans for
> the future are and on what we are currently working.
>
> Goals:
> * Removal of mozilla, nvu, xulrunner and firefox2.
> * www/firefox35 should be moved to www/firefox.
> * The options USE_GECKO mozilla nvu xulrunner and firefox will be also
> removed.
>
> Background:
>  We have a lot of old stuff on the portstree and it's time to cleanup old
> stuff.
>     * www/mozilla is 5 year old now, no longer supported by upstream, and
>       has many many vulnerabilities. We can use www/seamonkey.
>
>     * www/nvu last official release was in 2005, no longer supported, and
>       also some vulnerabilities. We have www/kompozer which also need an
>       update to get this unbroken.
>
>     * www/xulrunner is old and was replaced by www/libxul. We should not
>       hold any old Gecko stuff. Also it's not longer supported by
> upstream:
>       https://wiki.mozilla.org/XULRunner:Roadmap
>
> Problems which we have to solve:
>  Some Gnome ports need www/firefox to build and work, but unfortunately
>  firefox2 isn't longer supported by the Mozilla Foundation. Also
>  www/firefox has a lot of vulnerabilities. We should www/firefox
>  mark FORBIDDEN at this time gives no fixes for the latest securtiy
>  reports.
>
> We see here 2 ways:
>      1) The Gnome Team (not the FreeBSD Gnome Team) take time and move all
> his
>         stuff to libxul.
>      2) or we the FreeBSD Team have to remove all these ports. We know
> that's
>         really hard but we should not hold vulnerabilities stuff.
>
>   We hope to get here a bit help from the FreeBSD Gnome Team to make it
>   possible to get some stuff to work with the current libxul version.
>
> Current Status:
>        We working currently on Firefox 3.6 (alpha1) [2], Thunderbird 3.0
> (beta3) [1],
>        new libxul 1.9.1.2. All 3 are already committed to our repo.
>
>   [1] a screenshot from tb3 under FreeBSD
>       http://tmp.chruetertee.ch/tb3.0b3.png
>   [2] a screenshot from ff36 under FreeBSD
>       http://tmp.chruetertee.ch/ff36.png
>
> A current status can you find here:
>        https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/freebsd-gecko/wiki/TODO
>

> So that's all at the moment, Feedback, Comments are welcome.
>
> - Martin for the FreeBSD Gecko Team

> I just have one question when has xulrunner been unsupported upstream
> considering that xulrunner 1.9.1 was released when firefox 3.5.2 was teh
> last release of xulrunner 1.9.x alpha was august 22end yes it's development
> but it's still supported. upstream

Hi,

I think he means www/xulrunner, based on 1.8.0
(http://www.freshports.org/www/xulrunner/) is no longer supported und
should get removed from the tree.
Your mentioned xulrunner 1.9.x is still supported and inside the
ports-tree under www/libxul, which will not get removed.
(http://www.freshports.org/www/libxul/)

/BR