Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:43:21 +0100
From:      "Richard Kaestner" <richard.kaestner@ycn.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Q: Sockets - how to find a free and valid port number

I am working on a socket client, which should:
- connect to a server,
- supply a "return" socket port (similar to ftp)
- continue communication on a second socket

(Everything is on an Intranet. I was told, the firewall is
secure. And my client should run as ordinary user)

Up to now, I could only find rresvport (2) (which returns a port
in the privileged area)

However, I would prefer non-privileged.

Could anyone show me a way to get such a port number?

Thanks in advance!

--
  ciao -
    Richard

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

Richard Kästner
Woerthgasse 17
2500 Baden                          mailto:richard.kaestner@ycn.com
Austria