Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 15:38:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Mayne <dmayne@mindspring.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD writers as a backup medium

> > On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Nathan Dorfman wrote:
>
> A 90 meter DAT tape can hold up to 4 gigs per tape. You can get them
> for about $9 a piece, according to people who buy them. You'll need
> 6 CDs to back up 4 gigs on CD, that's $6-9. Use the DAT tape twice
> and you've already gotten your money's worth. A good CD-R drive is
> $400 (SCSI). How much is a SCSI DAT drive, anyone? Plus, I'm not
> even mentioning that you can buy 120m tapes for only a few dollars
> more.

Unfortunately, DAT tapes are extremely fragile, can be used only
a few times, and can be stored in the best conditions (cool, dust
free) for only about a year without risking data loss. The pattern
written to the tapes is so tight that you may have bleed over affect
with the bits after that year is up. DLT's write a nice wider format, but
are very expensive. QIC drives are available from tandenbergdata.com
which offer the best long term storage capability, and you can get
them up to 5GB, and the drives can be had for around $500 refurbished.
Unfortunately, the media is about $35 a tape, but they can be
written to many times, and will store for 5-10 years.

If you have data that has to be backed up daily, and want the backup
to last more than a year, I would suggest QIC. CD's could be useful
if you only need to do backups periodically (such as once a month).
DAT tapes - in my experience, don't use one more than 5 times, and
prepare to have data loss after a year or so, so a once yearly
CD burn may be in order.

Regards,

David
dmayne@mindspring.net