Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 14:16:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      chain@mpd.tandem.com (Chain Lee)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        chain%muzak.mpd.tandem.com@mpd.tandem.com (Chain Lee)
Subject:   Re: 950412-SNAP

> Hello,
>
> First let me thank you (in case I forget :-) for the great work
> you've accomplished!
>
> I have a few comments/questions regarding diskless and kernel debug
> support in this snapshot.
>
> When running a diskless station using nfs shared /usr, /usr needs
> to be mounted very earlier on in /etc/rc and /etc/netstart. In the
> current scripts, "mount -a -t nfs" is started after system daemons
> which require /usr to be mounted, and therefore the system fails
> to start. The mount command may need to be moved into middle of
> /etc/netstart where network has been set up but before starting
> any network daemons.
>
> 2) My 'diskless' station has only a DOS partition and no FreeBSD
> partition in a wd0 (ST506). It panics during diskless boot. I traced
> down the panic to wdopen which was getting an integer division fault.
> The trace is as follows:
> 	configure()
> 	swapconf()
> 	wdsize()
> 	wdopen()
> 	---idiv fault
> Is this a known problem? I got around the problem by bypassing wdopen()
> but wasn't able to trace further down because no symbols were loaded
> into the kernel, and ddb trace shows no names. I modified netboot to
> load symbol table over the net but it seems to have no effect. What
> other things do I need to do to get the symbol table loaded into ddb?

3) One more thing: mountd seems to allow only one directory to be exported
for a mounted file system if no -alldirs options is given. The
subsequent entries will get "permission denied" error when being mounted.
Is this a desired behavior or a bug (or I was doing something wrong?)

> Thank you again!
>
> -chain

-chain

--
Chain Lee
Tandem Computers, Inc.                Voice: (512) 432-8969