Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:44:19 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0

Hi

Today I woke up and was not able to log in to my system (ssh). Some =20
stuff worked (DNS for example, this box runs bind), altough the IMAP =20
server didnt work to well...
Anyway, I checked out local console:

maxproc limit exceeded by uid 0, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5).

Repeated 23 times...

I was not able to do anything, neither local or remote, ACPI didnt =20
work very well except for giving me
acpi: suspend request ignored (not ready yet)
the second time I pressed the power button... So a hard reboot it was.

Anyway.. I'm using default login.conf, which have unlimited for all =20
resource limits.. So wtf is this?

As far as I know there shouldnt be any processes running away but you =20=

never know... The only thing would be a "umount -f /some/nfs" and a =20
"df -h" running (the umount as root) but both hanged since the NFS =20
volume was unreachable, but why would this fork like this?

Dunno what more info could be useable, doesnt have much more in logs...

Str=F6m=