Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 12:37:34 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which scsi controllers are bootable on a PWS?

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:08:52AM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:49:14PM -0800, Mike Tibor wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >
> > > Older NCR/Symbios 810 will also work. But the Qlogic is faster/nicer.
> >
> > SRM will recognize pretty much any NCR/Symbios chipset, right?  I'm
>
> Well.. any is not what I would say. For older machines/SRMs the choice
> is much less, they recognise only older Symbios cards.
>
> > thinking specifically of the Intraserver cards.
>
> No idea what these are.

Intraserver cards implement a wide range of combinations using
21143 ethernet, symbios scsi and chips for other functionalities.
Nice cards IMHO.
If they work depend on the symbios chip they use.
Additionaly there are several older alphas that can't boot from
controllers behind pci-pci bridges - under which category most
of the Intraserver combination cards fall.
I don't know if the PWS has problems with bridges.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de