Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 07:36:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More on VM, swap leaks

>> On Wed, 05 Jun 1996 23:34:15 +0000, Gary Jennejohn
>> <garyj@munich.netsurf.de> said:

    GJ> I decided to test this out. I can start both emacs and xemacs
    GJ> with NO failures at all. And not one additional block of swap
    GJ> gets allocated.  I must in all fairness note that I already
    GJ> had about 16 MB of swap in use.

    GJ> This with a -current kernel made from the latest sources as of
    GJ> Monday.  So I didn't test against the latest pmap.c,
    GJ> et. al. But I wouldn't expect this to have a negative effect.

    GJ> This is on a machine with 16 MB memory and 64 MB swap.

    GJ> Looks to me like you might have a bad SIMM, Greg.

I have the same. It is not related to a bad SIMM. I have 16MB too, and
90MB swap.

It only happens sporadically (once in 10 times?) depending on what
happend to my machine before. Never when I just rebooted, but often
when I have used netscape, for example.

It never happens when I use an older kernel.

Peter Mutsaers       |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |     "Quod licet bovis,
plm@xs4all.nl        |  the Netherlands    |      non licet Jovi."