Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:13:18 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD in school networks - interested?

Bill Moran wrote:

> On Sunday 17 February 2002 16:57, Don Wilde wrote:
> > We have an active project in a middle school in Albuquerque where we
> > teach the kids digital logic, BSD, Linux and how to think for
> > themselves. Our PC instruction happens mostly on FreeBSD because those
> > of us who are active are BSD-oriented, but we sometimes get assistance
> > from our NMLUG Linux guys. As it is now, we have 2-3 guys at the school
> > every Friday morning, and we've gotten substantial donations from other
> > geeks and from some of the parents. The school people are absolutely
> > blown sky-high by this, but they know it's good and they're bending over
> > backward to help make it happen.
>
> Excellent work with this!  If more people did this kind of thing, the world would
> be a far better place!

The most important aspect of this, Bill, is that it has proven very
beneficial for US (the geeks) as well as for the schools. By having to
explain what we do to the kids, we have each increased our understanding
of our own knowledge, and each of us has also gotten "light-bulb"
inspirations from considering the questions raised by the students.

Our investment is just three hours once a week, but it pays off bigtime
for each of us. I highly recommend that you bug your boss (or make time
if you're your own boss) to do something like this.  Just the necessity
to learn to speek _English_ again (instead of geekspeak) makes it
worthwhile for anyone who has to deal with non-techies.

--
Don Wilde            http://www.Meta-Learn.com
           The Open ReSource Project