Date:      Fri, 16 Sep 2011 04:03:02 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        demelier.david@gmail.com, Barbara <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: R: make installworld fails (touch not found)

--tqI+Z3u+9OQ7kwn0

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:43:13PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 02:18:13AM -0400, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> > On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 07:56:27PM +0200, Barbara wrote:
> > >=20

> > >=20
> > > Forgot to "adjkerntz -i"?
> > >=20
> >=20
> > Don't get why all these references for time are popping up here and why
> > everyone seems to think that would make the PATH variable get cut short
> > from the environment that newvers.sh is running in, but see the post I
> > made to the real thread a few moments earlier.
>=20
> I believe it's based on the fact that make(1) "freaks out" if the clock
> skews too much (particularly, I imagine, if the clock goes backwards).
> "Freaks out" means starts behaving oddly.   There is confirmed evidence
> of this happening -- it doesn't affect "PATH problems" (for lack of
> better phrasing; I hope folks know what I mean by this, I'm not implying
> one's dot-files are wrong, etc.), but it does show up as files not
> getting compiled or make just bailing at odd/unexpected times.
>=20

On another note relative to this I have noticed this failing more often
when running a build in tmux(1). Not sure why that has anything to do
with it but taking a guess its because of the imposed login environment
or lack thereof thats effecting PATH.

When inspected by adding a "echo ${PATH}" and a 'env' command above the
touch line when this was happening it shown that /usr/bin was not in the
PATH. But again not real sure why that happened and never bothered to
look further. This is where watch(8) and snooping on the console came in
handy for remote builds rather than having to use screen(1) or tmux(1)

--tqI+Z3u+9OQ7kwn0

--tqI+Z3u+9OQ7kwn0--