Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:09:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        "Scott Rothgaber" <scott@palmetto.tv>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig on 4.10

> I'm moving our mail server from 4.4 to 4.10. When I try to add
> addresses
> to the NIC, ifconfig doesn't seem to want to cooperate...
>

> s2<ROOT>[/var/CommuniGate]
>  > ifconfig fxp0 add 63.82.200.42/24
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
>

> This is the same command that I used on the 4.4 machine. Has something
> changed? If this is a security thing, can it be disabled via sysctl?

This looks like an error generated if you are adding an IP alias
within the same subnet of an already configured IP.

If this is the case, apply it like this:

# ifconfig fxp0 63.82.200.42/32

or

# ifconfig fxp0 63.82.200.42 netmask 255.255.255.255

You weren't very clear if this is an alias or not, but it's my first
guess.

Regards,

Steve