Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 20:07:05 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: home pc use

> From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
> To: "Steve Brown" <gtabug@prayforwind.com>, "Chip" <chip@wiegand.org>
> Cc: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: home pc use
> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:54:05 +0100
>
> Steve writes:
>
> > If you're tired of Windows crashing you sure can!
>
> The KDE environment under FreeBSD stalled or crashed on me nearly half a dozen
> times in one day.  That's about as many crashes as I've experienced in two years
> on Windows NT, and all of the Windows NT crashes were due to bad drivers.
>
> Unless he intends to run FreeBSD in its native, command-line mode, he should not
> expect an increase in stability over Microsoft Windows, and he may experience
> the opposite.

    Last time I saw KDE it was 1.2 (or something like that) on SuSE-6.4.
    I have never seen it crash, but I didn't use it much either.
    After trying out a couple of different window managers, I've settled
    with blackbox. It's visually appealing (though you'd probably call the look
    I use boring), small, fast, rock-stable. And you know what, I think you
    would love it: it doesn't have any keyboard shortcuts by default. You have
    to click through. It also has a graphical configurator. and it takes half
    the space on the screen that windows, windowmaker, KDE or Gnome use.

    Erm, back to the topic. I was thinking about replacing windows on my
    computers for some time, and when it finally happened, I was surprised by
    how little I miss windows: I don't miss it at all. Mind you, I didn't
    have powerpoint installed, so all emails I received that had PP attachments
    went to trash (with an optional flame to the originators), I never bothered
    reading .doc or .xls attachments either. I rather bothered requesting the
    originators of such mails to resend such emails with those attachments
    converted to plain text. I think I might've been a rather strange windows
    user...

    As you may notice from my .sig, this box has been last rebooted 29 days
    ago. The power went out, and I didn't know how long the UPS would stand.
    All that is unstable among the software I use is netscape-4.78 (no good
    on windows either), the linux opera, and... that's it. one of the
    netscape processes occasionaly goes astray, eating memory. I kill -9 it,
    start netscape again, and am done with it. can you do the same on a
    windows box? yeah, NT5 is much better than previous versions...

    Today was the first day in two months I touched an NT5 box: needed to
    debug a JS problem in IE. Other than that, I don't need windows for
    anything I do with a computer.
    So please, do accept that there are people who can use a unix without
    ever thinking of windows. There are people who _don't_ need windows to
    use their computer as a personal computer. Unix is not server-only, as
    you seem to suggest. It does require your attention, however, something
    unheard of in the windows world.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
7:35PM up 29 days, 6:18, 2 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.05, 0.04