Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 01:45:36 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster Live! or PCI512 help

On Friday 08 February 2002 12:18 am, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 08:00:02PM -0600, Bob Giesen wrote:
> >    I have a SoundBlaster PCI512 -- which, I've read, is
> > essentially the same as a Live! card.  I can't get mine to make a
> > sound in FBSD. (Sings like a canary in m$, so I know it works...)
> >  If you're
>
> <snip> .. all the /dev stuff looks just fine
>
> >    Curiously, I just tried  a different command (about which I
> > know very little, so I might have used it wrong) and got an odd
> > error:
> >
> > # play /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/sounds/info.wav
> > sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device busy
>
> Try running the "play" command again *without* X running.
> It will fail with the error message you mentioned if your
> WM has grabbed /dev/dsp (for example artsd does with kde).

   Quitting X did, indeed, take care of the error message.  I tried
"play" with several wav files and got no error messages -- or any
other output (visual or audible), for that matter.  After typing the
command and pressing [Enter}, there was a brief delay (~1-2 seconds)
before I got my prompt back.  Presumably, "play" chewed on the files
in the interim, but all's still quiet...

--
"I thought I told you to wait in the car." -- Tallulah Bankhead, on
seeing a former lover for the first time in years