Date:      Tue, 13 May 2008 16:29:03 +0200
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@pldrouin.net>, Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of ZFS in -stable?

--------------enigDD0B2132DDEB2201A3C64FFB

Hugo Silva wrote:
> Daniel Gerzo wrote:
>> Hello Pierre-Luc,
>>
>> Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 6:26:49 AM, you wrote:
>>
>> =20
>>> Hi,
>>>    =20
>>
>> =20
>>> I would like to know if the memory allocation problem with zfs has be=
en
>>> fixed in -stable? Is zfs considered to be more "stable" now?

I am using ZFS on my laptop as a typical, heavily used desktop system. I =

experience some concurrency issues (the machine "locks up" for a moment=20
while the system is doing some work). I am doing some heavy tasks like=20
compiling OpenOffice in my free time.

I experience very strange behaviour when running out of space (one of=20
the applications dumped a huge core file that could not be rm(1)'ed=20
because of.... "Not enough space"!).

In my personal opinion, the stability of FreeBSD 7.0-stable with ZFS=20
(and maybe other features are at fault, e.g. wpi driver, my ACPI) is not =

very good. I experience strange hangs and hick-ups, sometimes panics.
The good thing about ZFS is that no matter how hard it dies it usually=20
comes up good (once I had to wait a while to let it recover after reboot =

and reboot the system again cleanly since some files were missing and=20
just re-appeared later).

I am bound to use ZFS because it saves me a lot of space (no need for=20
partition split), but as soon as I setup some more external disk space=20
for my laptop I may consider not using it anymore.

--Marcin