Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 13:26:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Tyson Trebesch <trebesch@mcn.net>
To:        Nader Turki <nturki@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diamond Viper II

I don't think this is the right list.  However, I have the same problem.

I traded emails with Joe Gibson at XFree86 and found out a few things:

By default, the pre-compiled FreeBSD XF86_SVGA server binary does not have
the Savage 2000 driver compiled into it, mostly because at the time,
FreeBSD was thought to be missing come kernel magic needed to make the
card function in X.  The Linux binaries work fine.  If you want to use it
in FreeBSD 4.x, then get X and compile the SVGA server from source, I can
mail you the source fix once I find it again... :-)

I did this, and actually did get a server running in FreeBSD 4.0.
Howerver, the mouse cursor was completely messed up, and the screen fonts
were always garbled.  I tried the software mouse cursor, and it was only
marginally better.  In short, I don't think it will work very well.  If
anyone out there has the Diamond Viper II AGP card and has it working well
under FreeBSD, I'd be interested to know how they did it.

Hope this helps, if you want to try to compile X and try it anyway, send
email.

Tyson N. Trebesch                Microsoft: Where do you want to go today?
Junior, CS - MSU Bozeman         Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
trebesch@mcn.net                 BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
http://www.mcn.net/~trebesch