Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 2020 15:23:45 +0000
From:      "Daniel Lysfjord" <lysfjord.daniel@smokepit.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Monitor an app

"@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com> skrev 2. oktober 2020 kl. 13:00:=0A=0A> Are=
 there any tools that monitor apps or services and do sane things to make=
 sure that the series=0A> are running?=0A> =0A> Obviously, I can write a =
simple script that says something like "if service <name> status doesn't=
=0A> have a PID, then =E2=80=A6" but that's simplistic and I don't want s=
omething that is simply going to=0A> restart a failed service over and ov=
er every time it crashes. (But once or twice when it crashes is=0A> good,=
 with an escalation to maybe restart a different series and a fall back f=
rom that to restart=0A> the machine=E2=80=A6 but again, not restarting th=
e machine a few seconds after boot because it can't start=0A> the service=
.)=0A> =0A> I am not looking for something that says "hey, email is not w=
orking" (I already have that but more=0A> subtly like "Hey, dovecot isn't=
 running" or "MySQL isn't running".=0A> =0A> Googling leads me to externa=
l monitoring of forward facing services based on port scanning, I'm=0A> l=
ooking for something local to the machine.=0A> =0A> -- =0A> IT'S BECAUSE =
OF THE UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE. 'What's that?' I'M NOT=0A> SURE. --The Fift=