Date:      Mon, 26 May 2003 12:44:01 +0200
From:      Christoffer Pio <cp@cvt.dk>
To:        Scott_Koh/Bluewave.BLUEWAVE@bluewave.com
Cc:        owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spooky em INTEL PRO 1000 driver?

Hello

I am experiencing some spookynes with FreeBSD 4.8 on the IBM
x345 2U machine; the x345 comes with two on-board INTEL 100/1000 mb nics
which uses the em driver. However, whenever I "up" one of the nics,
there is a slight delay of a few seconds before the command
completes, also the nic is not operating in up state yet,
appr. 30 seconds passes before traffic actually can pass
in/out .. It happens regardless if there is a cable attached
to the nic. I find this rather spooky. Has anyone using the
em driver experienced this? Other than being spooky it
causes a problem with the box in question, since syslogd and
other daemons times out at boot-up.

Please include my email in any replies.

Thanks
Christoffer