Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 01:15:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charlie Root <root@firebat.wolfepub.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Resource config, Please Help...

Greetings,

Could someone please help me?  I have look all over (FAQ, Handbook, list
archive, apache website, etc) for answers.

I have a server.  I am running 2.2.6-R and apache-latest.  We do about
2 to 5 million requests in a 24-hour period.

We just switched from BSDI to FreeBSD (like 1 hour ago) and now we can
only serve maybe 70 connections max.  Also, none of our cgi programs can
run.  There is an error in the apache error_log that says could not spawn
child process: resources unavailable.

I have checked the apache page on performance tips, but they are for BSDI.
They do not pertain to FreeBSD.  The tips were actually written by a tech
from BSDI.  One of the tips is to add several lines to the kernel config
like: CHILD_MAX, SOMAXCONN, etc.  But SOMAXCONN should NOT be set as an
option in the kernel.  You should use sysctl during startup (so I've been
told).  I tried this both ways, adding to the kernel and using sysctl.
Adding to the kernel does not work!  So those tips are out the window.

I have checked the login.conf.  But I have been told that it only pertains
to users who login, not daemons started at the command line by root (like
apache).  I was also told that the daemon entry in login.conf is used to
limit programs started by the rc. files at start up.  Well, rc.local
starts my apache and I set the daemon entry to all infinity (like the
root entry) and it did not help any!

I tried increasing the FD_SETSIZE in make.conf and recompiling libc, the
kernal, and apache.  No better.

Can someone tell me where I can check the limits being imposed on a runnig
process, set those limits, etc.?  Better yet, just send me a sysctl -a and
kernel config of Walnut Creek's or Yahoo's! servers.

I am going in circles and a little crazy at the same time.  This seems to
be a mystical and avoided topic.  Also, is there any reason why MAXUSERS
cannot be set higher than 256?  I have never seen anyone suggest a higher
value.  I set mine to 384 just now and I did not have any problems.  But
then again, the server is not running any better :(

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Also, please cc replies
to me since I don't have access to the list from where I am.

Thank you,
Matthew Hagerty
matthew@wolfepub.com