Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:01:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        V-Vega <vvega@silly.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Boot

On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, V-Vega wrote:

> Hi....I currently run Windows 95 as my sole OS.  I wish to install BSD
> 2.2.1.  I didnt exactly understand the INSTALL.TXT %100.  Firstly, I'm
> planning on making a 350 meg partition on my HD for BSD. however, I have a
> 400MB slave HD and i was wondering if BSD can boot from that rather than my
> master hard drive.

Yes.  You will have to install the Boot Manager to your first disk
manually, but that will give you the option to select which system to
start up.

If you're running OnTrack or similar translation software, don't do this.

0. To ensure a successful installation, make a small DOS partition on the
disk, then remove it in sysinstall and use 'A' to use the entire disk for
FreeBSD.  Complete the install.
1. Fetch boot.bin and bootinst.exe from tools/ on the ftp site.
2. Restart into DOS.
3. Run bootinst from your first disk.