Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 13:00:17 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>
Cc:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: teTeX, latex, Lyx Books

On Sun, Dec 21, 1997 at 03:55:16AM +0000, Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:
> John Kenagy wrote:
>
>> Now that I've about got a behemoth of a text processing system
>> loaded up. I need to know how to use it!;-)
>>
>> Anybody got any reccomended books on latex, tex (teTeX), etc.?
>

>  1. TeX book by D. Knuth.

Read this and watch your brain turn to mush.  I think it's one of the
most useless books I've come across.  It's full of arcania, and
instead of telling you what to do, it presents everything as a series
of problems.  As if TeX wasn't enough of a problem by itself.

 2. LaTeX users quide by L. Lamport.

This book is better.  But then, so are most books.

As may be evident, I don't like TeX.  It's not for want of trying; I
used it exclusively for several years.  Troff was like a breath of
fresh air.  Don't take this as a criticism of lyx; I haven't tried
lyx, and if it hides the obscenities of TeX well, it could be quite
useful.

Greg