Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:11:22 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        lrnobs <lrnobs@firstclasssolutions.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Syntax error in rc.conf - cannot fix

lrnobs wrote:

>I am setting up a new server so I could just reinstall, but this is a
>learning opportunity.
>
>I was changing the hostname of the computer.  In rc.conf I apparently left
>the leading " off the name.
>
>BSD doesn't like this. It stops the boot and allows/forces me to a shell. So
>I found that "cat" shows me the error of my ways.  vi apparently doesn't
>exist or is stored somewhere that I cannot find because "find" does not work
>either.
>
>I did find "ed" and thought I would be learning how to use it, but alas
>trying to launch it tells me that I have a readonly file system.
>
>So, is there any way for me to fix my typo, or is reinstall my only option.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Larry Nobs

First thing to do would be to mount / as r/w so
you can use ed.  Your $PATH is shot to heck so
maybe:

        /sbin/mount -t ufs /dev/ad0s1a /

Of course, that should be the correct device
and slice for your machine...

Have you tried just /sbin/mount -a to get the
whole thing back?  Maybe then vi or emacs
or whatever would be accessible...

Either way, this is completely recoverable.
Don't wipe your HDD yet....!!

Kevin Kinsey