Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 01:14:15 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

Hi,

> so this is where I get a little confused... I thought in the past the
> typical board limitation of 4 PCI slots was based on the LINE[ABCD]
> situation.  Early PCI MBs sometimes used LINEA for slot1, LINEB for
> slot2, etc.  I was thinking that now they route the LINEA pin from each
> card to the LINE[ABCD] inputs of the PCI_ISA bridge chip, hence the magic
> of the number 4.  Is this so, or do these PCI slot/LINEA INTs go directly
> to the MB ISA redirector hardware?  If so, what is magic about 4 (slots)?
> Stated another way, why does the 5th slot need to be shared?

doing some research I have concluded that the magic about '4' is that
all the chipsets (Neptune,Triton,Natoma) have exactly 4 PCI-ISA redirection
registers on them, probably because of the PCI LINE[ABCD] design.  So they
can only redirect to 4 distinct targets, requireing the "merging" of
INTs when getting to slot 5 and above. I suspect that in all other areas
it is really a unique PCI slot (wishful thinking?)

  Whether this limitation applies
to the APIC I still don't know... When Peter and I were first getting
his EISA disk controller working our experiments as to programming
the redirector for edge/level, etc. were very confusing and inconclusive.
If anyone has any insight to the specifics of the redirector/APIC connections
on the MB, I would love to hear them.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD