Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:18:20 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        bastill@adam.com.au
Cc:        ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com, David Newall <davidn@rebel.net.au>, Romana Branden <romana@timelady.com>, linuxsa@linuxsa.org.au, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Protecting Windows

Brian Astill wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 06:19 am, Romana Branden wrote:> Brian Astill
> wrote:
>>> Interesting.  The "spiel" on the Nuance website gave me that
>>> impression, too.  However the Royal Society for the Blind in
>>> Adelaide tried v 7 (current is 8) and were VERY unimpressed.
>> anything they recommend that we could test on crossover or wine?
>
> Yes - they use ZoomText 9 and Jaws 7.  These aren't "the same" as DSN
> but do a somewhat similar job.

FWIW, I did some localisation work for a product that supported the
Jaws* reader for windows (cant remember the version). The Jaws software
loaded in memory and it would get the handle for each object that had
focus (a handle in Windows world is like a pointer to the object in the
session...or something like that). Jaws would search a particular
resource in that object and read it aloud. If that label didnt exist
it'd fallback for the text in the object (which wasn't always ideal).

Anyway, I'm pretty certain there are text-to-voice software for  *BSD
and GNU/Linux (avoiding flames from RMS ;) ). Maybe a similar approach
could be taken under X? Not sure at all how you'd go about text based
software that is not ncurses based (maybe a similar approach to lynx /
links ? ).

Voice to text is another BEAST altogether, and a lot harder than text to
voice. Training of the software to your particular voice is the first
part of the process, of course, but I doubt it ends there...

(on the side... does Asterix support for voice-based menu selections?
The technology for that (not voip itself, but the recognition bit) would
be quite similar to what an end user would need, i would say)

I'm sure there is a group somewhere doing something about this.
anyway, http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Accessibility-HOWTO/index.html is an
(old) start, i guess ;)

Regards,
Beto