Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 08:51:55 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dpb@magicnet.net (Dan Benjamin)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: floppy tapes

Dan Benjamin stands accused of saying:

> I have read the FAQ and Handbook, and was wondering, specifically, if
> there are certain brands or types of floppy tape drives that do or don't
> work with FreeBSD 2.1-RELEASE.

Floppy tapes don't work, period.  It's possibly to cajole them into
sort-of working, but due to their hopeless design, it's impossible to
communicate with them in a fashion consistent with a 'real' operating system.

If you want the grisly details, I'm happy to spell them out, but in short,
don't buy one, don't advise anyone else to buy one, and don't try using
one if you have it 8)

Buy a cheap SCSI card (eg. Adaptec 1520) and get a SCSI tape.  You will
_never_ regret it.