Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:59:22 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Branching www/ for XML development

--==_Exmh_1373572280P

If memory serves me right, Nik Clayton wrote:

> Lately, I've been experimenting with XML, and XSLT as an alternative.
> For those that don't know, XSLT is a stylesheet language for XML.  It's
> sort of like the XML equivalent of DSSSL offering similar features, but
> a vastly different syntax.

What do you hope to gain with XML/XSLT?  I'm asking this out of
ignorance, not skepticism.  Is it going to make it easier to manage
changes, or give us better organization, or a more consistent look 'n'
feel, or...???...

The snapshot looks nice (less cluttered than what we have now), but I'm
not sure what how much of the difference is due to the use of XML, how
much comes from a reorganization of the information, and how much comes
from you using a different browser to render the page from what I
usually run.  What should I be looking for here?

(You probably recognize by now my let's-use-nik-as-a-learning-resource
stream of questions.)

> So I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to branch www/, and start putting
> some things on the branch for people to test and play around with.
> Thoughts?

Clearly I don't know enough to evaluate the merits of your idea but I
certainly can't see a branch hurting anything.  I'd say go for it.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1373572280P

--==_Exmh_1373572280P--