Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:42:22 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Gerry Freymann <lists@interpool.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lexmark X1100 printer

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 11:05:24PM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>=20
>=20

Indeed. Do yourself a favour, and do some research *before* you buy a
printer.

For the most part it depends on the "language" that the printer
speaks. As a rule, any printer that understands postscript will work
without much trouble. Printers that speak PCL (most, but not all HP
printers) or ESC2P (Epson) work well.

Avoid so-called winprinters like the plague. They offload most
processing to the host processor (your CPU) using a Windows-only binary
driver. Some of those drivers have been reverse-engineered, but I'd
advise you not to go there. Setting them up is always complicated.

Check on linxprinting.org to see if the printer you have in mind will be
able to work. The lexmark 1185 is not listed, which is not a good
sign. The lexmark 1100 (assuming the 1185 is related) is listed as
"partially working", which is also not encouraging.

Roland
--=20
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/         X     No Word docs in e-mail
public key: http://www.keyserver.net / \    Respect for open standards

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq