Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 23:50:18 +0300
From:      Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@webdaemon.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        sklauder@ibd-web.de
Subject:   Re: "device timeout" with DFE-650

(quoted from the web archives)
> BTW, since we're on this topic; IMHO this card is just junk.
>
> I've got mine working a couple of weeks ago, but it's in a rather
> useless state: cvsup/ftp/scp etc are not working.
>
> Any connection that transfers more than some 40K at a time stalls and
> finally times out. Oddly enough, http,nfs,ssh,telnet are just fine.
> With ftp I get a speed of ~7K/sec :(
>
> I'm running 4.1-STABLE and it makes no difference whether I use polling
> mode or not. I've just tried a update to 4.1.1-STABLE (via NFS mount),
> but it seems that sendmail-8.11.1 (MFC'ed yesterday) is broken...

I have exactly the same symptoms with my xircom. it was working perfectly
for several months with 4.0-STABLE, but when I upgraded to 4.1.1 it
started behaving this way. Needless to say, I'm pissed :)

I am relieved to find out that it doesn't only affect the xircoms, since
nothing relevant chagned on the xircom driver since 4.0 and I was really
lost trying to figure out where the breakage was - I am now convinced that
something somewhere else is really, really broken.

Consider giving 4.0 a try - see if that works - it's not the card that's
junk, I'm convinced something broke in FreeBSD sometime in july, august
or september. Unfortunately I have a libretto, and 4.0 does not support
the xircom properly (that was MFCd a bit after the release). Back then
I had a windows partition which I used to setup freebsd from a dos
partition. I nuked this before I setup 4.1.1 (since there was no need
for it anyway). Needless to say, setting up windows again will be a major
PITA (20+ floppies, and the floppy drive is unbeleivably slow).

I made a post regarding this on freebsd-mail last week but it seems to
have been ignored - since then I've been spending all my free time debugging
and can't honestly figure out why for some reason when large flows build
up (so to say) the kernel stops sending packets to the card.

Hope someone smarter than me figures this out before I go nuts.