Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:22:20 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eirik_=D8verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        pyunyh@gmail.com, weldon@excelsusphoto.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Gavin Atkinson <gavin@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.0 - network stack crashes?

Hi,

I have something that might be more interesting than any counter ...
It seems to me as if the problem *only* manifests itself when an OpenBSD =
box is backing up to this FreeBSD 8.0-NFS-ZFS server. All other boxes =
are FreeBSD, and I have so far today been unable to reproduce the =
problem from any of those. As soon as I interrupted the backup running =
from OpenBSD, the mbuf cluster usage stabilized.

How's that for a mystery in the morning?

/Eirik

On 29. nov. 2009, at 15.29, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, Eirik =D8verby wrote:
>=20
>> I just did that (-rxcsum -txcsum -tso), but the numbers still keep =
rising. I'll wait and see if it goes down again, then reboot with those =
values to see how it behaves. But right away it doesn't look too good ..
>=20
> It would be interesting to know if any of the counters in the output =
of netstat -s grow linearly with the allocation count in netstat -m.  =
Often times leaks are associated with edge cases in the stack (typically =
because if they are in common cases the bug is detected really quickly!) =
-- usually error handling, where in some error case the unwinding fails =
to free an mbuf that it should free.  These are notoriously hard to =
track down, unfortunately, but the stats output (especially where delta =
alloc is linear to delta stat) may inform the situation some more.